At the end of the XVII century B. was stricken by a terrible earthquake followed by famine caused by the shortage of manpower in the countryside. No wonder when 1707 people welcomed the new Lords of the kingdom of Naples: the Austrians.
Unfortunately bad luck stroke B. again, infact in 1712 there was a large livestock epidemic and in 1731 another earthquake damaged the Cathedral. The Austrians ruled until 1734 when Charles III of Bourbon, son of Philip V of Spain, conquered the Kingdom of Naples. He was a good king for B. He extended the entrance of the north-west aria in the external harbour. Besides a trade and sea trade law-court was built. B. also became the last dock of the mail service to Constantinople which started from Naples. Once again in 1743 a terrible earthquake damaged many buildings, houses and the Norman Cathedral which was first demolished and then restored again after a few years. In 1744 the seminary was completed and inaugurated and Monsignor Annibale De Leo opened a public library on the ground floor of the building the oldest library in all Salento which contains over 7000 books.