The War Memorial

The War memorial, erected in memory of the 500 town victims in the First World War, is a work by the Brindisinian artist Edgardo Simone. It was inaugurated in 1933 in the presence of king Vittorio Emanuele III.

The War Memorial

The War memorial, erected in memory of the 500 town victims in the First World War, is a work by the Brindisinian artist Edgardo Simone. It was inaugurated in 1933 in the presence of king Vittorio Emanuele III. The Monument, at first located in Piazza Dionisi, was moved to the present site only in 1940. The representation of the winged victory, the agonising warrior surrounded by glory, of the Italic mother arming her own son and indicating him the way to duty and of the old sorrowful mother clasping the orphan in her arms while caressing a helmet covered with laurels, infuses a deep emotion still today. The back facade shows the only engraving of the main battles fought during the First World War; this is because some elements, originally present in the design, were later removed in the adaptation of the Monument to the new site. At the beginning of 2018, at the behest of the Special Commissioner Santi Giuffrè, a ChemGas-funded restoration project returned the work to the city in all its splendour.

Rate and write a review

Your email address will not be published.

Piazza Santa Teresa
Brindisi 72100 Puglia IT
Get directions