The National Monument of the Italian Sailor was inaugurated in the presence of king Vittorio Emanuele III in 1933.It was built in honour of the fallen of the First World War in recognition of the merits acquired by the town for having been the site of the naval base of the low Adriatic. Among the projects participating in the specifically organized national competition, the winner was the one presented by the architect Luigi Brunati and by the sculptor Amerigo Bartoli. The Monument represents a great rudder with a memorial chapel on the base of it. On the chapel walls are carved the sailors’ names fallen during the First World War, the numerical indication of the dead during the second conflict and of the sunken civilian and military units. The statue in bronze of Our Lady, Star of the Sea, is a work of art by Bartoli; it was placed in the rudder tooth in 1954.