The Church of St. Mary of the Angels

The Church of St. Mary of the Angels and the adjacent convent of the Capuchin Poor Clares, demolished at the beginning of the 20th century and replaced by a primary school, were erected in 1609 at the behest of the Capuchin Friar Giulio Cesare Russo of Brindisi, future St. Lawrence, canonized in 1881 by Leo XIII.

The Church of St. Mary of the Angels and the adjacent convent of the Capuchin Poor Clares, demolished at the beginning of the 20th century and replaced by a primary school, were erected in 1609 at the behest of the Capuchin Friar Giulio Cesare Russo of Brindisi, future St. Lawrence, canonized in 1881 by Leo XIII. Originally, the project envisaged that the elegant facade in carparo stone was facing west, but in the course of the construction it was oriented to the north. Composed of a single nave, the church houses four chapels adorned with Baroque altars in which paintings dating back to the 16th and 17th century are preserved.

Rate and write a review

Your email address will not be published.

Via Ferrante Fornari 27
Brindisi 72100 Puglia IT
Get directions