Montenegro Building

Montenegro Building, thus named after the family who had owned it for centuries, is the most remarkable example of Baroque civil construction in the town.

Montenegro Building, thus named after the family who had owned it for centuries, is the most remarkable example of Baroque civil construction in the town. The building hosted king Ferdinand IV during his visit in 1797 and Gioacchino Murat in April 1813. In 1818, it was the theatre of an extremely bold action for the contemporary presence of a Grottaglie outlaw Ciro Annicchiarico, leader of the sect of the “Decided”, and of the General Church, who gave chase to him. Site of the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company, whose symbol is present on the front door, in 1928 it was acquired by the provincial administration and used as the residence of the pro tempore prefects of the town.

Rate and write a review

Your email address will not be published.

Viale Regina Margherita
Brindisi 72100 Puglia IT
Get directions